There are plenty of great things to do on the Seacoast of New Hampshire this summer, but one of our favorites at this time of year is visiting the American Independence Museum. The American Independence Museum is located in Exeter, NH, and features a collection of rare artifacts from the Revolutionary War. It’s a fascinating place to visit, especially as we near our country’s Independence Day Celebration.
Moreover, the American Independence Museum is just a short walk away from our stunning New Hampshire Bed and Breakfast, located in downtown Exeter, NH. The Inn by the Bandstand offers a luxurious array of guest rooms, two of the best restaurants in Exeter, NH are located onsite, and we’re right across the street from the popular summer concerts in the Bandstand. We’ll attend to your every need while here, which means you can relax and unwind in a way you can’t do at home.
If you’re ready to get out and explore the stunning Seacoast of New Hampshire this summer, make sure the adventure starts with a taste of luxury at our downtown Exeter, NH Bed and Breakfast. Book a room today!
What to See at the American Independence Museum
We’re just a few weeks away from celebrating American Independence, and we can’t think of a better place to do it than the American Independence Museum in downtown Exeter, NH. The American Independence Museum sits on a beautiful 1-acre campus, highlighting two magnificent historic homes and a collection of rare artifacts.
The centerpiece of the American Independence Museum is a rare copy of the Declaration of Independence known as a Dunlap Broadside. This document was found in the historic Ladd-Gilman House, which was built in 1721 and is on the register of National Historic Landmarks. This particular copy of the Dunlap Broadside is one of only 26 of these documents known to exist, making it a scarce find from our nation’s earliest days. The discovery of this document spurred the opening of the American Independence Museum in 1991.
Aside from seeing this exceptional document, you can also take tours of the historic Ladd-Gilman House. The guided or self-guided tours walk you through important moments in our nation’s history and introduce you to voices from America’s Revolutionary era. If you want to visit the Folsom Tavern, also located on the campus of the American Independence Museum, then choose the guided tour option. Guided tours are available Wednesday – Sunday at 10 am, 12 pm, 2 pm, and 3 pm.
Join the American Independence Museum in celebrating our nation at their 32nd annual American Independence Festival. This year, the event will be held on July 16th, 2022. The festival is always a spectacular day of fun and features things like military demonstrations, first-person reenactments of historical times, revolutionary foodways, an artisan village, and much more.
More Things to do in Downtown Exeter, NH This Summer
Visiting the American Independence Museum is just one of the many amazing things to do in Exeter, NH this summer. Exeter is a former mill town on the banks of the Squamscott River. Today, Exeter is an exquisite destination on the Seacoast of New Hampshire, seamlessly blending small-town charm with city sophistication. There are plenty of great things to do in Exeter, NH, and we’d love nothing more than to be your guide this summer.
Our Bed and Breakfast is the perfect place to stay in Exeter, NH. Just like the American Independence Museum, all of downtown Exeter is walkable from our Inn, and the best of the Seacoast of New Hampshire is within easy reach for those days when you want to do a little more! Here are a few of our favorite things to do in downtown Exeter, NH.
- Don’t miss the summer Concerts at the Bandstand! These concerts are among the most popular things to do in Downtown Exeter during the summer, and they take place right across the street from our Bed and Breakfast. The first concert will be Monday, June 27th at 7:30 pm, followed by more on July 4, 11, 18, and 25th, each at 7:30 pm.
- As simple as it may sound, walking the tree-lined streets and admiring the historic architecture downtown is one of our favorite things to do in Exeter, NH. Of course, there are plenty of great shops to visit as you walk, and you may even want to pick up a treat at The Chocolatier, where you’ll find delightful artisanal chocolate treats.
- Hike or bike along the beautiful Swasey Parkway, a wonderful place to soak up a bit of nature for the day.
- Visit the many excellent art galleries in downtown Exeter, NH, such as the Lamont Gallery at Phillips Exeter Academy and the Art Up Front Street Studios and Gallery.
- Relax and unwind to the sounds of summer at the summer concert series at Swasey Park in Exeter. The shows start for the season on June 30th and occur every Thursday evening through August 11th, from 6 – 8 pm.
- Visit the Exeter Farmers Market. It’s held every Thursday and is a great place to pick up picnic supplies or browse and enjoy the atmosphere.
- Take a walking tour of downtown Exeter, NH, and learn more about this historic town.
- Dine at the many excellent restaurants in Exeter, NH, including our own, Ambrose. Also located in our building is the top-rated Otis Restaurant.
- Head to Gilman Park and enjoy a quiet afternoon along the river. You can also launch a kayak and head downstream, enjoying town views from an entirely new angle.
- Relax and unwind in style at our beautiful Bed and Breakfast on the Seacoast of New Hampshire. We’ll tend to every detail of your stay so you can fully relax in a way you can only do away from home. There’s nothing else like it on the Seacoast!
Visiting downtown Exeter, NH is just one of many great reasons to spend some time on the Seacoast of New Hampshire this summer. Even so, there is truly so much more to the area worth seeing. The hip and charming town of Portsmouth is just 20 minutes away with historic cobblestoned streets and a pleasant downtown filled with charming shops and restaurants overlooking the harbor. You’ll find fun attractions like the Strawberry Banke Museum, Prescott Park, and Ceres Street, with its restaurants lining the historic harbor.
Summer days at the beach are just a short drive away, too. The ever-popular Hampton Beach is a fantastic destination with plenty of activities to enjoy well into the evening, including a casino, open-air concerts, the famous sandcastle competition, and later this summer, the annual seafood festival.
All of this and more is at your fingertips this summer. All you have to do is book a room at our luxury New Hampshire Bed and Breakfast!